Interest in the Christian Science movement in this area began with a spiritual healing in 1890. Afterwards, a study group was formed and church services were held in private homes. In 1891, due to increased attendance, a hall was rented for services and Sunday School. In 1892, the group was organized as First Church of Christ, Scientist, London, Ontario and became a recognized branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts. For the next few years, church services and Sunday School continued in rented halls in the downtown area, and a Reading Room (originally called a "Dispensary") was available at the same locations.
In 1899, application was made to the Ontario Legislature for a Charter, and this was granted. In the same year, St. James Presbyterian Church - commonly called the "Pepper Box Church" - was purchased at Richmond, Kent and Clarence Streets. This property was sold in 1960 and a new church building was constructed. During the construction, services and Sunday School were held in a rented school. The first services, were held on Communion Sunday, January 14, 1962 in the new church at 89 Ridout Street South, London.
Sunday Morning from 10:30 am to 11:30 am
The Bible Lesson is read by the First Reader who reads passages from the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, the discoverer and founder of Christian Science and the Second Reader who reads from the King James Version of the Bible.
| Locations and map
For Sunday services, Sunday School and Wednesday evening meetings First Church of Christ, Scientist, London is
89 Ridout Street South
Reading Room location:
354 Wellington Street between King and York Streets in downtown London
Telephone: (519) 432-3620